| One of the main rivers at night |
After a day of exploring the town and sorting out some Spanish lessons, I went on the Monday to my first one-on-one class. It was quite interesting to see how my knowledge and use of the language had developed and been influenced by so many different countries and cultures. My teacher sometimes told me things which completely contradicted what I had picked up.
| Quaint plaza #714 |
Thankfully, I decided to do the usual meeting-other-travellers trick and just took a seat in the bar with two girls I had seen around the hostel. Lifesaver. Hannah and the-other-girl-whose-name-I-unfortunately-can't-remember were very welcoming and after a few drinks we all decided to go out to a club. I, as usual, decided I knew the way (I actually did), and we got there pretty safe and sound. It was a fun evening with a lot of impressive casual salsa but a little bit too many creepy South American men. I also bumped into the girl who had stood me up at dinner who, to be fair, did apologise profusely.
| The main plaza |
The next few days were filled with swimming at the local pool where Hannah and I got chatted up by a rather strange 17-year-old boy who claimed to be a football player, drinks in the bar, lessons and school and after school hot chocolates as well as ice cream. Another of the after school activities I partook in was a visit to a local guinea pig restaurant (yes, my second of the trip). And sorry to tell you this but we did see them on a spit roast. I even took a video. Later in the week after one of my Spanish lessons I went for some private salsa lessons which were fun but also frustrating because when all the attention is on you, it isn't always possible to just breeze through and hope nobody will notice.
| A lot of artsy street work going on in Cuenca |
| Charming buildings |
I did meet one nice American though, a girl called Davi from my school, who I was going to visit the national park with but didn't. On my last evening I was lucky enough to bump into her and we went for a delicious ice cream. (Always end on a high note. Ice cream is always a high note.)
Another very important point to mention about Hannah is that she basically convinced me that I needed to go to the Galapagos islands, something I had been telling myself for 6 months I wouldn't do. Anyway I made a few phone calls and...
No comments:
Post a Comment